Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 Writing Goals

I actually meant to post this last Friday, but came down with the flu. However, when starting a new year, I have been making a few goals in my personal life—always some writing—to help me achieve my desires. But, I thought this year it might be nice to share goals specific to writing.

Goals for 2014 (in no particular order)

1.       To read through “1001 Ways to Market Your Books” by John Kremer. While I have gotten better, I still feel like I have room to grow in the marketing area. My hope is that this book will give greater insight into different strategies that will help me. My hope is that it won’t be like other marketing books I’ve read, where I walk away thinking “that’s genius, now how does it apply to my situation?” Anyone read it? If so, what did you think?

2.       Publish a new book. For many reasons, I have been stagnant in new publications for far too long. 2014 will bring forth a new book in my Atlantis series (the second). I am hoping to have the backlist up on Amazon by February/March and then a new book out around June. That’s the goal…and one I will desperately try to fulfill.

3.       Attend a Comic Convention. I have been thinking for about year now that I need to go to one. I believe this is a nice place to find my market. I also think it will be great to hang out with people who like the same genre I do. Don’t get me wrong. Hanging out with all the mystery and southwest authors is a kick in its own right. But, there is a special place for the love of wizardry and the supernatural.

4.       Attend a Writer’s Convention. Of course, budget will dictate how many of these goals I achieve, but I haven’t been to a writing convention in a few years. I have exchanged them for creative writing classes and…of course…work. However, I always feel refreshed after one…well, except the one whose theme was writers exist without appreciate, struggle to make it and then die. That was not very uplifting. But, for the most part, there are some great conventions and I am dying to mingle with other writers and rejuvenate my juices. If you know of any good ones, please let me know in the comment section below.

5.       Find a new editor. My editor and I had to part ways last year. While I found a proofer, I do believe in the importance of finding a good editor for my new books. It doesn’t take long to know both have their merits.

6.       Read. I set the goal of 20 books this year, which is daunting at the moment, but doable. Writers can’t be good at their craft if they are not readers.

7.       Write!! I don’t think I can ever get enough writing, and I want to write.

What’s on your goals for 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment