Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday's quote: Ernest Hemingway

"It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way."~ Ernest Hemingway

I love this quote because I think we all have this perception that talent is simply "God given." I don't know how many times I hear star judges say this on programs like So You Think You Can Dance, The Voice and American Idol. It irritates me a little. The first reason is the person saying this typically doesn't strike me as someone who has much of a relationship with God. But, more importantly, it leaves the impression that talent is something you have or you don't.

I believe I was born with a talent to create stories. But, that isn't to say I didn't have room to grow--and still do. In fact, everyone (whether they be a singer, writer, dancer, etc) can learn and improve. So, let the rest of the world believe a magic genie hit you with a wand and "poof!" you are awesome. But, secretly, you'll know the years of hard work that went into creating such a talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment