Monday, July 21, 2014

Monday's Quote: Anna Quindlen

“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”~ Anna Quindlen

Anna Quindlen
Taken from her Goodreads Profile
I think I love this quote because it is a switch from what I usually read. Most of the time, the quotes are talking about novels opening up other worlds. They are adventures into new places most can never dream of traveling (or other dimensions that are impossible to see). The twist here is that a book not only opens up a new world, but can provide insight into my own.

I think this is true. A good book can help me reflect on my own shortcomings (or strengths). For example, one of my favorite children's book is Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. I remember reading it and asking myself what I would have done. The main character helps hide a Jewish friend's family. It seemed like such a simple task, and yet it was so dangerous and therefore courageous.

I think the best books dig into our soul a little. They examine the true aspect of humanity and cause us to think if we can live up to the potential of these characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment