Monday, June 2, 2014

Monday's Quote: Maya Angelou

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty."~ Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou
Photo taken from her Goodreads profile.

I was saddened to hear of Maya Angelou's passing last week. Most know I do daily quotes through my twitter feed. Whenever I am looking for good quotes and having trouble, I always looked to Maya Angelou. She was so full of inspiration and insight. I admired her strength, her wisdom and her eloquence. She was one of those writers I always aspire to embody in my own work.

Of all the quotes, this one is my favorite. I think it's because it relates more to my life. In high school, I was the shy girl in the corner who didn't want any attention. I was content living in my own world and not interacting with the outside world. It took most of my twenties to grow outside of my shell and break into the person I am today. I like to think I accomplished a lot of my goals because of these changes. This quote reminds me of this, but it also reminds me that I am not alone. We often see success and the end result, but we rarely see the hard work that took place before the beauty. This is something to always remember.

Rest in peace Maya. The world will miss you greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment