Monday, April 21, 2014

Monday's Quote: Marcus Zusak

"You do not have to feel truer than others in order to be original....be different and keep aspiring to be a better you." ~Toba Beta

There is a lot of talk in the writing world about writing for a market and finding trends. Competition is great and people are trying to belong and yet trying to stand out. I like this quote because it touches on the idea that maybe this is the wrong approach. Being original doesn’t mean writing the same stuff better. In fact, if we look at the top books from last year, we’ll find they stand out because they are different

I’m thinking of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I had to laugh when I began this book because in the first page he breaks all “conventional” rules. He writes a prologue that is kind of “telly” from the omniscient point of view. But, the reader soon discovers his mastery of the craft of writing. I don’t think I’ve ever read a novel from death’s point of view set in Nazi Germany. Death’s point of view? Sure. Nazi Germany? Sure. But mix them, and what a story. He stood out for me as the best book I read in 2013 because he was so different than everything else. So, be different and better, but don’t worry what others are doing. That’s what we should strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment