Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday's Quote: Anne Frank

"I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.”~ Anne Frank

The wisdom in this child always amazes me. And, what amazes me more, is that most of the time I see children who are beyond their years, their lives end in tragedy. Most will appear on television talk shows with some sort of ailment (cancer, etc.), but shine with stars brighter than any other and wisdom grander than most twice their age. I do have to wonder if there are more out there, but that we only pay attention when there is justification to do so.

This quote spoke to me because, over the course of my writing career, I have often questioned if I want to continue. This business is tough and there are plenty of people ready to state what you are doing wrong. Even Anne Rice has started a movement against people bullying authors on Amazon. I can't understand why people act in a way that she would have to do this. But, even if it is not some creep on the internet, it's something else. A rejection letter, sales not going the way you wanted, a plot that isn't working, etc. Why do we put up with the negative aspects of writing? For me, it's because there is no other choice.

I write because my world is darker without it. Writing is such a joy in my life. Everything I worry about goes away. It's just me and my characters in a world that is, at times, so much better than this one. I can be anyone and do anything. There is no other feeling like it in the world.

Want daily quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment