Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday's Quote: Winston Churchill

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”~ Winston Churchill

When I found this quote last week, I instantly fell in love with it...although, I think most can agree that one can't go wrong with quoting Churchill. Anyway, I think I like this post mainly because of a misconception I had starting out my writing career. I always thought that the moment a book of mine was published that would be it. I had been successful and my job was finished. In my innocence, I expected the art of selling books would be someone else's job. And my books would sell millions, of course, because my world was small and my grasp on reality limited. But, I think I also fell victim to the idea that publishing a book would accomplish my goal. I would have succeeded. After all, once we finish a race, we grab our medal and are done...right? Well, what about people who win multiple races? What about the athletes who have won gold medals at the Olympics and have returned this year? They certainly were successful 4 years ago.

We are never done. There are always successes to be had. We can always go further. But I also like the idea that if we fail, it is not the end. I'm in an Olympic state of mind, so let me go back to that. If someone didn't get on the podium the last time, they try out again. Why? Because they could possibly get on it this year. And some do. So the end is not what matters. It is the journey. It is that we continue. I like that thought.

Want daily quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment