Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday's Quote: S.E. Hinton

“I lie to myself all the time, but I never believe me.”  S.E. Hinton

This is my favorite quote from last week. The reason is that it is kind of sarcastic, which goes right up my alley. But, it think it also speaks to something a little more. Part of my existence is lying to myself. A good example…when I do yoga. Without a mirror, I am getting into the poses. I’m stretching and in the moment. And, in my mind, I am looking exactly like those Yoga magazine covers. I am awesome. The downside is in my gym there is a huge mirror in the yoga room. The mirror provides evidence to the contrary. No one would want to take my picture, no matter how much my mind tells me otherwise. 

To a certain extent, I think we should lie to ourselves. Otherwise, we are just tearing ourselves down. I see so many writers who don’t write because they see all the flaws (and over exaggerate others). We should overlook some flaws. The trouble comes when we start to believe the blatant lies and behave as if they were true…like me demanding my photo be placed on the cover of a magazine. 

Have a fantastic week!

Want daily quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment