Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday's Quote: Mae West

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~ Mae West

This seemed to be the most popular post last week. I can see why. It reminds me of the movie Dead Poet's Society, where the teacher proclaims students should embody the "Carpe Diem" motto. Seize the Day. Live for the moment. Of course, that idea sot of back fires on one of the students when he seizes the day in a way his parents disapprove. Not only that, but then he continues to disregard their views without ever having a conversation with them. I can relate to that after teaching teenagers. They are convinced their side won't matter anyway. I guess that is a topic for another conversation.

I agree with the idea of seizing the day as long as it is done intellectually. Don't jump off a bridge and claim you were seizing the moment. But, take advantage of the opportunities that arise. Don't let fear hold you back. I constantly have to tell myself that. I always try to push myself out of my comfort zone. Do I like it? No. But I grow. And I live. And, hopefully, in the end I can say that I have done it right and I am satisfied.

Want more quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment