Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday's Quote: Ernest Hemingway

"There is no friend as loyal as a book."~ Ernest Hemingway

This quote speaks to me on a personal level. When I was in the 6th grade, I lost every single friend I had. I have come to realize the event was a power play amongst girls, who can sometimes be the worst humans when in teenage form--not so much sugar and spice and everything nice. I have also come to cherish the event. In all honesty, I probably would not have become a writer if it weren't for that event. It defined me, but also allowed me the option to look at myself and not worry about pleasing the "popular" opinion. That is the best blessing I could have asked for...even if I would never wish to repeat it.

This quote was the most liked on my Facebook page, which causes me to wonder if others have had the same experience. People let us down. They abandon us. They betray us. There is safety in books. But there is no interaction. I think books can sometimes be too comfortable. I see people hiding in them, not wanting to experience life. So, while books are loyal and always there for us, we also must remember to seek real experiences...even if they can be unpleasant at times.

Want more quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment