Friday, November 1, 2013

My Thankful List for November

Today is the first day of November, which is one of my favorite months for a few reasons. First, I love the change of the seasons. Living in Arizona, we don’t really get “fall” in the traditional sense. We are not full of trees that change colors. But our sunsets seem more vibrant, there is the smell of wood burning in fireplaces, and the coolness in the air is refreshing after a summer filled with 100 degree weather. This month also holds my favorite holiday: Thanksgiving.

Taken from Microsoft Word Art
It seems simple: be thankful for what you have. A few years ago, someone on Facebook decided to place one post every day on what they are thankful for. I started a few years ago and it’s easy for the first few days, but then things start to get a little tough. The action forces one to look at the smaller joys in life, something often lost in the “pursuit of happiness.”

In the spirit of this activity, I thought I would do a post today on the things I am thankful for in my writing career thus far. 

1. The support of my family and friends. I began writing by hiding in my room and telling a limited few. The only reason I started to share my passion was because my family planted the idea in my head that I was good enough. Since then, my support system has gotten me past rejection letters and the disappointments, reminding me that even the best authors experience it. Their insistence as well as joy from reading my work keeps me going. 

2. The Odyssey Writing Workshop. These online winter classes really have been a valuable experience for me. I learned a lot and, more importantly, have seen my writing ability grow. The key to this is that I walked in open to the idea that my writing was not perfect. Was it good? Yes. Was it attracting readers? Yes. Was it the best it could be? No. I took local creative writing classes before, but these classes have really been worth the money. 

3. The stubbornness my father gave me. This doesn’t sound like something to be proud of, but I find it is important in the writing field. I want to write. I want to share my writing with others. I want to create and there is nothing anyone can do to stop me. That is a trait that pushes me on and I am thankful for it…even if it can get me in trouble from time to time.

4. I am thankful for the readers. Their joy…and sometimes anger…is what compels me to write. Sure, I would probably write without it. But sharing the experience certainly makes it more fun.

5. Finally, I am thankful for the gift. I met a lot of people who have a desire to tell a story but don’t know how. I try to guide them best I can, but I do recognize their struggle. I am grateful I have the ability to create these stories because it is how I find enrichment in my life.

What do you give thanks for during this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment