Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday's Quote: Ralph Waldo Emerson

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love this quote because I know I can get too wrapped up in my “goals.” I blame it on my childhood. It was always stressed to me to think of what I wanted to be when I got out of high school. What degree did I want to get? What did I want out of my life? Then, when I chose a profession, all the experts say to set achievable goals. After all, the only way to be successful, to make progress, is to set goals and plow forward. I know I also look back on my life and question some paths I’ve taken. Would my life be different if… Would I be further along in my career if… Did I choose the right path? 

Emerson is correct in saying it doesn’t matter what happened in the past. It doesn’t matter what happens in the future. What matters is who I am. Schools now have to teach “character traits,” which basically teaches kids how to be a good person. I think it’s sad that schools have to teach this in today’s society, but I do think it is still the most important aspect of life. We need to focus on who we are. We need to focus on being the best person we can be. Everything else will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment