Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday's Quote: Joss Whedon

"I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of."~ Joss Whedon

I like this quote because it touches on the enjoyment from writing. Sure, a lot of my writing comes from my own knowledge and experiences. In that way, I am recreating myself in each piece. I'm sure there are psychology books on that. Anyway, while I contend that I will also say that my characters are always better people. They are stronger than me. They are more compassionate. They always know the right things to say and do. They are everything I am not.

I think this is why people read, as well. It is an escape. We get to become people that may not be perfect, but they do not share our imperfections. But it also allows for a safe place to explore the unknown. Sometimes the most edgy material make the best stories because they push the boundaries of what society is comfortable with. Of course, this can't go too dramatic. There is the audience to think of.

Happy Veteran's Day to all my US friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment