Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday"s Quote: Elbert Hubbard

"A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you."~ Elbert Hubbard

This one received the most likes on my Facebook page last week and I can see why. For me, this quote really strikes home. I think I've discussed before that I discovered writing in middle school. That is probably not the easiest place to find oneself...especially when that person is "outside" the social norm. It didn't take me long to realize most of my peers were not supportive of my passion for writing stories, and that was before they had even fleshed into full length novels. I didn't want to stick out--to be different--so I hid my joy from everyone except for a select few.

When I talk with high school kids today, I always tell them that your true friends are the ones who support you. I expressed my love of writing with a handful of people. While all the others I was trying to impress have since moved away, I still keep in contact with the ones who supported me all along. They cheer me on and have been my fans since the beginning. There is nothing like the feeling of knowing that they knew who I was--at one time--ashamed of expressing and yet they loved me anyway.

I don't care what there is to know about a person. True friends are those who know everything--the good, the bad, the dramatic--and they love you anyway. Great quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment