Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday's Quote: Bill Cosby

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."~ Bill Cosby

In the writing profession, we can get caught up in trying to please our readers, editors, publishers, trends in the market, etc. In fact, the number one cause of writers block, in my opinion, is trying to please too many people. I think this is valid because in almost every list of tips for writers that I have read, somewhere they mention writing for yourself.
Writing a story is hard enough without the critique's brain turned on questioning everything that is written down. If I pursue a writing task, whether it be a chapter of a novel or a short story, I am never going to finish if I'm thinking of others. The only exception to this rule would be if I am writing for a magazine. For instance, some have themes or topics they cover. But, even in these cases I let the conditions mold the idea and then I turn off the demand as I'm writing.

So, don't try to please everyone. That's a sure way to fail. I agree with Cosby on this one, and not just in writing.

Want more quotes? Follow me on Twitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment