Thursday, September 5, 2013

A List of Good and Bad Books to Movies

People tend to complain when a book is turned into a movie. I decided to do a couple of lists for movie of books I've read.

Great Movie, Great Book:

1. Tuck Everlasting. My favorite book, so I might be a little biased on this one.
2.  Hunger Games: loved the book series and love Jennifer Laurence as Katniss.
3. Jane Eyre (2011): I used the new release of this story to read the classic novel. They rearranged a few things for the sake of time, but did a nice job capturing the characters. Loved the book, loved the movie. Not sure about the other adaptations, but I hear they are good as well.
4. Othello (1995): my reason for liking this might be bad...I love how the actor for Iago captured the essence of that character. This movie made me fall in love with the play.

Movies Better than the Book:
1. Time Traveler's Wife. Love the movie, although very little Rachel McAdams does is bad. The movie cut a few issues I had with the plot.
2. Beautiful Creatures. Again, changed the book, but this particular book made me mad. I loved the changes and loved the story as a result.






The Horse WhispererHorrible Movie, Great Book:
1. Horse Whisperer. Loved, loved, loved that book. But, Robert Redford decided the ending needed to be changed to be more philosophical. His ending is therefore not as strong, in my opinion, and ruined the movie for me.
2. Twilight. All I'm going to say is Robert Pattinson as Edward? Hmmm. Don't get me wrong. Love the actor in everything else he does. Just not this series.
3. One Shot. Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? No.
4. Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. I think classifying this movie as horrible is a stretch. However, I didn't like the change of the ending. I also didn't like how they handled the Silent Brothers. Their voices should be more wispy and less Darth Vader. If someone does the other two books, I'm interested to see if they redeem themselves.

Books I Can't Wait to See as Movies:
Divergent (Divergent, #1)1. Divergent. I hear it's in the works and can't help my happy dance in anticipation.
2. Catching Fire: second installment of the Hunger Games, mark me there!
3. Enders Game. Saw the trailer, got excited. Now I have a little over a month to read the book, but am excited about the story line.
4. Any Dresden Files book. Don't know if they are making a movie, but someone should push for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment