Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday's Quote: Oscar Wilde

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."~ Oscar Wilde

This quote was by far the most popular last week on Twitter and Facebook. I think what attracted me to it was the idea of being myself. In middle school, as I began writing, I quickly hid my passion. I found the masses did not think writing novels in my spare time was "normal." I rarely shared my interest with those outside my inner circle. This had a lot of backlash, the most important being on my confidence. I think it took me much of my writing career to get over the decision to pretend I was someone I thought my peers wanted. So, embrace who you are.

The second part of this is, of course, humorous. However, I think it also has a good point. I cannot be someone else, no matter how hard I try. I can't write in the same voice. I can't behave in the same way. I can't enjoy the same things in the same way. We are all unique individuals and that is okay.

A good thought on this Monday.


Want daily quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment