Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday's Quote: Nicholas Evans

"Life isn't about what happens to you, it's about how you handle what happens." Nicholas Evans

This, of course, applies to so much in life. That's why I like it so much, and probably why everyone else did also. In writing, I feel I need it stitched into a pillow or hung on my office wall. This is good motivation for those up and down moments that come with the profession.

Writing is all about how we handle rejection letters. Do I let them tear me down and stop me from trying? Or do I learn what I can from them and move forward? Do I let one bad review stop me from writing? Or do I weigh it's value and then move forward.

Life is about obstacles. I told a student once that I didn't care if they failed. What defines a person is what they learn from failure. Those who make the same failures over and over are not successful in my eyes. It is in rejection that we can analyze, adapt and grow. So, yes, life is not about the list of things that happened to me. It's how I handled and, hopefully, overcame them.

Want daily quotes? Follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment